Elmschenhagen is first mentioned in the Preetz monastery register.
Elmschenhagen became an independent church village. Ellerbek and Gaarden also belonged to its parish. It remained a church village until the 19th century, so there were no changes.
Expansion of the Preetzer Chaussee and the Kiel-Ascheberg railroad line, so that craftsmen and businessmen settled near the village.
Due to industrialization (appointment and expansion as an imperial war port), Elmschenhagen’s population increased further.
Opening of the Kiel Canal with a small double lock. This had an impact on the whole of Kiel and the surrounding area.
there were already about 1000 people living in Elmschenhagen
1914 North-Baltic Sea Canal
Construction of the large double lock – The expansion of the Kiel Canal enabled the German navy to move large warships and merchant ships more quickly between the Baltic and North Seas. This had an impact on the Kiel shipyards. Larger ships meant that more employees were needed, which meant more housing in Kiel.
there were already 3360 inhabitants in Elmschenhagen. The settlement changed from a farming village to a residential area close to the city.
Application for incorporation of Elmschenhagen into the city of Kiel. The city showed itself ready, but the government in Berlin refused permission.
April 1, 1939
Only when Kiel could no longer cope with its population growth on its own due to increasing armaments did Elmschenhagen become a district of Kiel.
Division into Elmschenhagen North and South by the Preetzer Chaussee, which was later widened to four lanes.(see 1971)
Garden City Elmschenhagen-North 1939
Designed and built by the Hermann and Paul housing development company. All streets and squares were given Austrian names, as a reaction to the annexation of Austria in 1938. The center of the settlement is Andreas Hofer Square. Stores for daily use were also built there.
Garden City Elmschenhagen South 1939
was planned and built by Kieler Werkswohnungen GmbH according to designs by Paul Schaeffer-Heyrothsberge. It created 2,000 apartments for employees of the Kiel shipyards and the navy. All streets and squares were named after places in the annexed Sudetenland. Egerländer Platz is the focal point in Elmschenhagen-Süd. Since 1947 it has been called Bebelplatz.
Construction of the federal highway 76 (Preetzer Chausee)
Opening of the through road of the federal highway 76 in Elmschenhagen